Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 26, 2020

 March 15, 1883 - Inquirer

Dr. Forbes' Trial 

The Lebanon Cemetery Case.

 "...I never made an investigation as to where the bodies came from; men came there and offered to sell them, but we didn't receive them unless we knew who the persons were; I did not know that McNamee was getting bodies from Lebanon Cemetery: I did not know that there was such a place, nor where it was situated; I made no arrangement to get bodies from any cemetery; no such conversation ever occurred as to my telling McNamee that Judges Allison and Ludlow would not permit any wrong to be done, &c.; there is no foundation at all to this story; after McNamee had been hauling for some time he said he was going to Bryn Mawr, and asked me if I would go his security for a year; I knew nothing of the man, but after some recollection, I thought proper to assist him, and I did so for one year; it was a mere act of kindness to the man; I think I signed the papers at my house; I have been at the stable of the defendant; he would stop me sometimes as I went by; his stable was close by the college, around the corner; I generally asked him about his health, and never said anything to him about bodies that I can remember; ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment